[j-say list] Text selection issues

  • From: Richard Ring <Richard.Ring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <j-say@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:54:47 -0500

Hello:
I am teaching a client how to select text.  The simple exercise I am attempting
to have him do goes like this.  I have numbered 10 lines, and they are in
random order.  His job is to select them, cut them, and put them in order from
1 to 10.  Here is the problem we are running into.
When he finds the line he wishes to select and subsequently cut, he issues the
command "select line."
Sometimes, J-Say will announce that the line is selected, and sometimes it
won't.  Even when it doesn't, if I use the Jaws keyboare command shift insert
down arrow, Jaws reads the line as if it is selected.  However, when  my client
issues the command "cut item" as often as not, J-Say will say, blank nothing
selected.
This renders J-Say fairly useless when it comes to reliably selecting and
cutting text.
If I'm doing something wrong, (a possibility I would never rule out) I simply
do not know what it is.
Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.