[iyonix-support] Re: iyonix-support Digest V5 #104

  • From: Cyril Johnson <cjjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:52:24 +0100

In message <20100803050825.27839D25F0C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> iyonix-support Digest   Mon, 02 Aug 2010        Volume: 05  Issue: 104
>
> In This Issue:
>                 [iyonix-support] Re: iyonix-support Digest V5 #103
>                 [iyonix-support] Re: iyonix-support Digest V5 #103

> Subject: [iyonix-support] Re: iyonix-support Digest V5 #103
> From: Cyril Johnson <cjjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 07:28:33 +0100

[snip]

[snip]

>> In message <a78c254051.cjjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Cyril Johnson <cjjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings!
>>> Using IYONIX X100 with RISC OS 5.16
>>> Have recently had trouble with reading CD discs sent to me. The
>>> reader, after a pause for thought, comes up with the message
>>> "CDFS does not support this kind of disc"
>>> My wife's PC will read them (after hesitation) and indicates that the
>>> discs use Universal Disc Format - UDF.
>>> I had a look at Warm Silence Software's CDROMFS, but it claims only
>>> partial support for UDF.
>>> Does anyone know of any way round this problem? Or will CDROMFS do the
>>> trick despite the "partial" let out?
>>> All I need is reading, not writing.
>>
>> Is it a Rewriteable CD?
>> Windows rewriters had software to make a rewriteable cd work like
>> another hard drive.
>> Only good if the machine has that software installed.
>>
>> It is a CD, not a DVD?
>>
>> Ron M.
>>
>> ------------------------------
> Many thanks for the reply.
> According to the PC it is a CD, not a DVD, and its label says that it
> is a Sony CD-R, compact disc, recordable. No mention of rewriting.
> The Windows PC could read the files on the disc. The IYONIX could not
> open it at all.
> Best wishes,
> CJJ

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

> http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/udf_recovery.asp
>
> Apparently udf packet writing is used on cdr as well.
> I haven't got Steffen's full DVD version, I think that would be the
> only chance we would have of reading udf format on Iyonix.
> Otherwise you'll have to transfer the files from the laptop and ask
> if you can have the cd's in iso9660 format next time.
>
> Ron M.

[snip]

Many thanks for the reply.
The notes with CDVDBurn (full version) say that it cannot be used as a
general DVD reader.
At present this does not seem like a big problem, and I can handle it
via the PC which will read UDF format.
But it might grow, in which case I will have to think again. Steffen
recommends CDROMFS

Best wishes,
CJJ