[iyonix-support] Re: What will happen to the Smartgroup message archive?

  • From: R-Comp <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:24:09 +0100

In message <4e20b0558fj.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John McCartney <j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <534399204e.rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger
> Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > I have all(?) posts from 01/01/04 - 31/12/05 in an
>> > archive. The bad news is that it's 59Mb
>> >

>> And even worse is that it takes a full 27 seconds (and
>> growing) to open the Iyonix list in MessPro 4 on RO 5.1.
>> [17th May 2003 my earliest post here].
>
> This is where Pluto's external boxes are a boon. I have
> over 467 MB stored outside the application, on the hard
> drive. The Iyo's speed makes copying to an external box
> very quick indeed, especially if it is run from a RAM disc.

MPro 4 users can simply drag out all the postings, and they will be
saved in cross-platform mbox format.  These can be double clicked on
to reopen from any medium, or transferred to other platforms.

Note that mbox is not the greatest of formats, as it isn't indexed,
but has the advantage that it is a cross-platform external mail
format.  mbox files can be dragged back into Mpro if you want the
benefits of indexed/cross-referenced/compressed mail.

If someone wants to host a central repository of the Iyonix list
somewhere, I'd be happy to supply it in such a format - my archive
goes back to the start of december 2002.

Incidentally, there's something ailing with Roger's Mpro setup I
think, because there's no way the Iyonix should be *that* slow -
27seconds is about how long I'd expect a RiscPC to take with the slow
IDE interface.  I have contacted him privately about that - if anyone
else is suffering slow Mpro performance, I'd like to hear.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS