[iyonix-support] RISC OS 5.12 and mode 13

  • From: Jeffrey Lee <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 23:53:55 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)

Hi,

As one of the 'lucky few' to have a new FX 5500 card, I have been having
some trouble getting the correct output from the card when in mode 13.
The MDF I started using after receiving the machine didn't have a 320x256
definition, so I copied the entry from my Risc PC's MDF (which was using
the same monitor the Iyonix is now).  However upon entering mode 13 I
found that the columns of pixels were being displayed in the wrong order!

Each group of 4 columns had been swapped with its neighbour. For example
the letter 'V' would appear as the shape '/\'. Typing two V's next to each
other would produce '/V\' etc. Oddly enough this only happened in 8bpp
modes - 16bpp and 24bpp were fine (Well, apart from the lack of R/B colour
swapping in 16bpp). Some more experimentation revealed that my 320x480 and
240x352 definitions worked fine. After a few minutes of playing with
MakeModes I had a 320x256 definition that displayed properly on my monitor
(BenQ FP737s)

The original 320x256 definition was the one from the AKF85 MDF. My
modified version is below.

startmode
mode_name:
x_res:320
y_res:256
pixel_rate:13000
h_timings:42,28,10,320,20,0
v_timings:2,106,0,256,0,85
sync_pol:2
endmode

In particular it appeared to be the change of the horizontal R/B border
from 12 to 20 that fixed the problem. I'm wondering if this is just a
limitation of the card in displaying the original mode or a bug in the
current driver.

Another issue I've noticed is that in certain low-resolution modes
(e.g. 13, 15) moving the mouse to the bottom-left of the screen will cause
top border to change to the same colour as the mouse cursor.

And finally I have a question for you - will the finished version of the
driver be able to provide red/blue colour swapping in 16bpp modes, or is
this something we'll have to live without?

Cheers,

- Jeffrey