[iyonix-support] Re: Poor Power-on/Re-boot reliability

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:20:48 +0100

In article
<58328.31.49.231.71.1398884795.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Learning Partners <lp.books@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dr John Hurley Research, Project Development and Publications for
> Education says:

> On Wed, 30 April, 2014 3:11 pm, Richard Ashbery wrote:
> > Having recently upgraded my Iyonix to RISC OS 5.20 I am
> > disappointed with its Power-on/Re-boot performance. I often have
> > to switch off and on again to get it to Boot-up. It
> > intermittently fails to re-boot - no beep is heard. Nothing
> > exceptional is reported by Reporter running in Boot logging mode.
> >
> > I installed virgin copies of !Boot, Apps, Printing and Utilities
> > from the ROOL HardDisc4 zip download.
> >
> > Can any of you bright sparks suggest what might be causing this?
> >
> > Reliability with RISC OS 5.18 was excellent but I would prefer
> > not to re-install it.
> >
> > Copied to c.s.a.misc
> >
> > Richard

> Sounds pretty much the way my Iyonix has behaved since its third
> video card - are you sure the software change is more than
> coincidental and this is a standard Iyo problem - psu or video card
> seating or failure?

Guess its conceivable but a strange coincidence. I had to replace the
power supply not long ago but was still using 5.18 at the time.
Replacing either the power supply or VGA card is expensive and
probably not worth doing. Luckily I do have other RISC OS machines but
still like using the Iyo.

Thanks for your comments.

Richard