[iyonix-support] Re: Please help -- formatting a new HD

  • From: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 09:48:15 +1300

On 04 Feb, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2007 "Anton Mans" <anton.mans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am about to reformat the HD that came with my Iyonix,
> The only problem is reformatting the wrong drive.

What are the recommended choices when dealing with
a new 120gb drive (my choices shown):

NEW WD 120gb
HForm (v2.54)
  Drive LBA flag? (1)
  Heads? (16)
  Sectors per track? (189)
  Cylinders (77527)
  Drive parameter init flag? (1)
  Parking Cylinder? (77527)
  defect list (a)
  Format or Initialise? (i)

Were my choices correct?

Would there be other recommended choices when dealing with an existing
Iyonix 120gb drive which was partitioned, as in Anton's case?

I recently fitted a new 120gb and was confused by the options offered
by HForm, such as the soaktest, drive LBA flag, sectors per
track, no more changes to defect list, and ... "Format or just
initialise"?

The information on HForm options in the RISC OS User Guide (p363+) is
not completely clear, especially WRT format or initialise: "You need
only format the disc if it has never been formatted before". I was
doubltful whether a HDD manufacturer would have formatted this disc to
ADFS parameters, so assumed (wrongly) it hadn't been formatted.
I first chose the Short soak test and Format. Three hours later the
screen was still rolling with repeated "format error on this track".

Is this the expected result of a soak test(short)?

Spacebar didn't stop it, so Alt-break. Next I googled hform format
initialise in rca.hardware and read of how we don't need to format new
drives nowadays just initialise them. And for the soak test one need
only choose None. As for the other options, I just took the easy way
out and accepted the defaults. About 10 seconds later it was all done,
I hope.

If it's true that new HDDs never need actual formatting, then it would
be helpful to the general user if the correct term 'initialise' was
used by all.

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND