[iyonix-support] Re: Please help -- formatting a new HD

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:39:55 +1300

In message <4eaf892418list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          list@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 04 Feb, David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 3 Feb 2007 "Anton Mans" <anton.mans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I am about to reformat the HD that came with my Iyonix,

> I first chose the Short soak test and Format. Three hours later the
> screen was still rolling with repeated "format error on this track".
>
> Is this the expected result of a soak test(short)?
>
> Spacebar didn't stop it, so Alt-break. Next I googled hform format
> initialise in rca.hardware and read of how we don't need to format new
> drives nowadays just initialise them. And for the soak test one need
> only choose None. As for the other options, I just took the easy way
> out and accepted the defaults. About 10 seconds later it was all done,
> I hope.
>
> If it's true that new HDDs never need actual formatting, then it would
> be helpful to the general user if the correct term 'initialise' was
> used by all.
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,
You can do a soak test when you just initialise a drive as well.
Dave may correct me but a short soak test appears to me to be the same
as a verify from the harddrive icon menu. The verify outputs the errors
with a hexadecimal disc address instead of the cyl, head sector format.
In your case, to clear up any doubts, now that the drive is in use, run
verify to see if it returns errors. (Should be none)
Cheers Ron