[iyonix-support] Re: Opps, res out of range

  • From: Alan Adams <alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:26:31 GMT

In message <Marcel-1.53-0121124108-06cpErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon 21 Jan, John Ballance wrote:
>>

>> Paul Vigay wrote:
>>> In a dim and distant universe <183d9a644f.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>>    Gavin Wraith <gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
>>>
>>> Yes. I'd have said they were more critical, as often a CRT will display a
>>> picture, even if it's not got the exact settings, whereas an LCD will just
>>> display "Out of range" or somesuch error message and shut down.
>>
>> As far as LCDs are concerned, the BEST performance will ONLY be achieved
>> if optimal mdf settings are used.
>>
>> Here at Iyonix we have a tool we use that creates an MDF by reading the
>> settings from the monitor itself. All displays from us will come
>> therefore with appropriate MDFs.

> We have seen quite a few LCD that give blatantly incorrect information [1]
> and others with more subtle inconsistancies including specs that are
> impossible to be read by EDID i.e. an Iiyama LCD that has different
> refreshrate requirements dependant on what the resolution was, something
> that is impossible for EDID to do, as refreshrate range is a single all
> resolutions value.

That is therefore a significant weakness in EDID - I know of a lot of
CRT monitors which won't display high resolutions at high refresh
rates - in some cases requiring 50Hz refresh to get really high
resolution - therefore contravening health and safety guidelines, and
flickering badly under fluorescent light.

(On thinking about it, it's the combination of monitor and display
adapter - I don't actually know which imposes the restrictions.)

> We also recently found one model that a later delivery required a modified
> MDF!

> [1]Incorrect model and size!

>> This capability is not so far built into the OS.. in other OS es this
>> does happen behind scenes (Plug - n - Pray operation) .. for the future???

> The bottem line is that unless the monitor comes with an MDF you may have
> hassle getting a suitable MDF. Many/most people may have no problem but you
> may!

> Chris Evans

It seems to be worth trying the AKF85 MDF as a first step - it works
with quite a lot of 17" LCD monitors, and the 19" LCD I am using here.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx