[iyonix-support] Re: Networking

  • From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:00:52 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4ea4ff1c56Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx>,
   RJT <Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am having problems networking between the Iyonix and the existing
> RiscPCs...

> Small files seem OK, but large files often loose contact part way through.
> Unually is I click OK on the 'Server lost contact' error box the file
> transfer resumes OK. But not always.

> Copying over a load of JPEGs (averaging around 4mB) is a complete
> nightmare!

> Has anyone else had similar problems? Any known cures?

This is an old favourite. I assume you are using ShareFS for
this. The problem is I think to do with the design of ShareFS.
There is no complete fix that I am aware of. A workaround that
works for some people is to type the command:

sharefswindow 1

at the F12 command line on both the Iyonix and the RiscPCs. I see
the problems you do without changing this ShareFS setting but
file transfer are reliable for me after changing it. Other people
report it does not have any real effect. I recommend you try it.
The only thing is, you will have to type the command in again on
a machine if you reboot it.

> The RiscPCs seem to talk better with the Win XP laptop than with the
> Iyonix.

Dave Daniels

--
ANTISPAM: Apologies for the mangled address. The name is correct
but replace 127.0.0.1 with ormail.co.uk