[iyonix-support] Re: Max external USB disc size

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:07:09 -0700

Paul Vigay wrote:
In a dim and distant universe <1f55f2c14f.Brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Brian Howlett <brian.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
Surely you are aware of the concept of "marketing" GigaBytes? I would
think that the advertised 250GB is made up of these, where a MB is 1000
bytes, and a GB is 1000 of those - making the drive 250*1000*1000 bytes,
or around 233GB in real money...

Erm, yes. Hence me saying in the original message that it appeared on the
iconbar with 233GB free. :-)

However, this is still larger than the rumoured 200GB limit for the Iyonix,
so I was wondering if the limit only applied to internal (IDE) drives
rather than external USB devices....?

References, please?  Let's not make things up.   It _has_ been suggested
that there is a limit of 256GB (real GiB), but I think this was simply
miscommunication, as per a recent post by a ROOL member on csa.  Yes,
and DMA only works up to 128GB.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support