[iyonix-support] Iyonix hardware(?) problems

  • From: Harriet Bazley <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:23:33 GMT

After weeks of testing, my Aria Cube is still regularly booting up with
mouse and keyboard frozen, and I'm still plagued with the mysterious
socket-death problem whereby after a random amount of time spent web
browsing (which can be extremely short) all the 'sockets' will
mysteriously vanish out from underneath whatever application is in the
middle of using them at the time -- it doesn't seem to be
browser-dependent (I've seen it with both Netsurf and WebsterXL), and it
happens even if I haven't previously run any other Internet software and
on one occasion when, by way of experiment, I hadn't even booted up
(beyond opening and closing !Boot.Resources and setting
Choices$Path/Write).   I'm assured this is also a symptom of some
hardware problem.

So far, I've tried pushing large amount of data over the ShareFS
connection (no problem), running a memory test on all the memory in the
machine (no problem), verifying the hard disc (no problem), staying
dialled in for a whole hour while downloading e-mail every three minutes
(no problem), and doing nothing other than dialling in and web browsing
(eventual disappearance of sockets almost every time).   The only thing
that has been suggested and I haven't tried is buying and installing a
new power supply - because that requires speculative financial
expenditure on my part, and I'm skint.   :-(

The whole business only started this autumn, and I still can't help
wondering if it is in some way temperature-related; this room is
unheated save by monitor/body heat, and room temperature is normally
60F or below.   Meanwhile, I'm embarrassed to admit to my family how
unreliable the machine is - what on earth can I do?

--
H. Bazley

In the end, winning is the only safety.