[iyonix-support] Re: From networking to not working: it's a small step

  • From: Stefaan Claes <sclaes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:43:55 +0200

On 25 Apr, charles <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4e1d081417sclaes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Stefaan Claes <sclaes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hello,

> > My local network is still the same (Iyonix PC connected to a hub and adsl
> > modem/router connected to the same hub), but I now have to reset the hub
> > at least once a day because the network connection is lost: the link led
> > on the hub is off.

> [Snip]

> I was getting similar problems which seemed to be caused by mains "brown
> outs" (short dips in the mains supply)  I now have a UPS feeding the hub
> and the problems seem to have gone. (fingers crossed)

Possible, but very unlikely: why does it only affect the ethernet connection
of my Iyonix? There have never been any problems with the network connection
of the adsl router, the Risc PC and the linux PC.

After a few days resetting the hub or swapping network cables didn't work.
The only way to get the ethernet port of my Iyonix working again, was to
swich off the computer, wait a few hours and switch it back on. But now
even that doesn't work. BTW: according to the software (ekinfo, ektest,
showstats, ifconfig, etc...) everything was (is) OK, but it doesn't work
(the link led on the hub remains off).

I have tried another cable and I also tried to connect the Iyonix directly to
the adsl router (with a crossover cable of course) but this didn't work
either.

I'm afraid the ethernet port of my Iyonix is dead. :-(

ps: reinitialising the etherk module (sometimes) makes the link led
of the hub light up (but only very briefly).

--
Stefaan Claes, Hove, Antwerpen, Belgium, Europe, <sclaes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>