[iyonix-support] Re: Flashed it now, but ...

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:45:13 +0000

Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <1c4152e250.Orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alex Cessford <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That is very strange. I don't dare contradict your statement that
> > someone has added that by hand, but who? Certainly not me - I have no
> > idea about such things and would neither know to, or dare mess with
> > stuff like this, and I am the only user of this machine.
>
> Well these things don't get there and delivered by little pixies so
> either you altered the file by hand , updated it by dropping someone's
> else's altered file on it or clicked on an obey file that ran and
> altered it for you.
>
> Looking at emails on this list I can see correspondance involving you
> and 514 softload issues on 11th June 2009 and you were given advice
> about altering files to include the go514 information , so I assume
> you did act upon that and that is how that line got out in your
> predesk or you also had some correspondance on the 12th June stating
> you had some discussions with CJE as well.

Doesn't anybody ever add comments to files they alter themselves, or keep
notes about the changes they make?

If keeping notes, a simple search for "go514" would probably have resulted
in finding the notes made about adding that command.

Whether you keep notes or not, why would you not (when adding a line to an
Obey file) also add a line like:

| I added this in June 2009 because of problem such-and-such

(Note that the first character turns the whole line into a comment).

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own