[iyonix-support] Disc error 26s

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:33:16 GMT

I am having problems with a new hard disk, which I bought because I thought
my old disk was failing. Now I'm not so sure.

The problem was that the old disk was generating disk error 26 at frequent
intervals - perhaps 2-3 times daily. It tended to be the same part of the
disk affected - something in Messenger/Newsdir, because I would get the
errors when collecting email or news.

Bought new disk, installed, tried to copy my data across - started to get
the same error every couple of dozen files transferred.

I have tried most combinations of:

two replacement IDE ribbon cables,
both old and new disk as master and slave,
swapping the pair of disks to the other IDE channel,
both disks as master on separate IDE channels,
small and large wimp slots for the file copies,
CD drive disconnected throughout
a Delete power on

ADFS buffers is 255 and ADFSDIRCache is 255k

and I am still getting disk error 26 on both discs.

I am keeping the new disk empty because I can't copy 54Gb of data to it with
an error every couple of dozen files.

There is some variation in which file(s) are affected each time, but
certain filenames do keep recurring. The originals don't appear to be
corrupt.

Copying to Null: can also provoke the problem on the disk being read, but at
a lower rate - say one in every few hundred files.

Occasionally the error 26 is followed by 'Data Lost'.

What to try next? Is this starting to look like a motherboard fault? Or is
the power supply a more likely culprit? Hard to see how to blame Bill Gates
for this one.

RO5.11 512Mb Iyonix, but without the 'anti-freeze' hardware modification. I
get freezes every few weeks, which I can tolerate, and I don't really want
to be without my computer even for the few days it would take to fix.

Simon Smith
--
Have you heard of the International Obfuscated Perl Code Competition? Each
contestant is shown ten Perl programs - five that have been written normally