[iyonix-support] Re: Canon cantankerousness

  • From: Ian Hamilton <Ian_Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 08:20:41 +0100

In article <4e2bc3552cgary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Various RO5.11 Iyonixes with !Printers v.1.72 and Canon bubblejets.

> A long-standing irritation we have had with a BJC-4300 on a
> parallel-USB cable, is the first printout after booting the computer is
> always lost.  The printer prints a single sheet with

> [K

> in the top left corner of the paper (that's open-square-bracket and
> capital K).

Canon prints start with escape followed by '[K' so maybe the initial
character is lost.

[Snip]

> In the neighbouring office, a newer Canon iP4200 on an almost identical
> Iyonix, also fails to deliver a first print, but the circumstances
> differ somewhat. This printer's USB port is driven by a D-Link network
> printserver gizmo via LPR (v.2.00beta1 29.11.02) for convenience,
> though in practice only the adjacent Iyonix uses it.

>  The act of physically /clicking/ the Canon on the iconbar is needed to
> 'wake it up' as it were.

This suggests the initial Printer$Path is incorrect which can happen with
!Printers. Maybe fixable by manipulating the 'Settings' file (or
certainly by running PrintSpool if this is the problem). Any prints that
use the Wimp print protocol message system should work without
intervention.

> By experimentation, this can be done by momentarily deselecting
> the Canon then reselecting it (which is hard to remember to do) or by
> ensuring the Canon is /not/ the default, so the user has to click to
> highlight before using it.

Just clicking it even though it is already selected should be enough.

> If this is not done, the printer sits dormant and nothing prints;
> power-cycling the printer makes no difference, it is the Iyonix state
> that is critical, and whether or not a selection click has been made on
> that printer's icon since Booting.

Most likely Printer$Path is pointing to 'null:'.

HTH,
Ian

--
Ian Hamilton (RISC PC RO4)  http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
             (Iyonix  RO5)  Programs compatible with RISC OS 3/4/5