[iwgmgfh] Bibliography On G&FH

  • From: Arnon Hershkovitz <arnon.hershkovitz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iwgmgfh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 00:15:29 +0200

Hello, Dear Colleagues.

I guess it's about time to make some progress with the creation of a
bibliography to our domain. I know I'm the main one to blame for the
yet-no-progress of this important issue, and this is why I'm now reviving
it in a way that no particular person will delay it anymore...

I figured out that the single most bothersome thing (for me) about this
bibliography was its categorization. As our domain is multidisciplinary
(hence the name of our group...), how could we arrange it wisely and
efficiently?

And suddenly it hit me: I've already had the answer all along... In an
article I published about a year ago in the Journal of Multidisciplinary
Research (Vol. 4, Issue 3, pp. 5-21, can be accessed directly from here,
http://www.stu.edu/Portals/0/JMR/jmr43fall2012.pdf), I suggested a taxonomy
of genealogy as an academic discipline, and it might as well serve as a
basis for such a bibliogrphay.

My taxonomy includes six building stones of academic research in genealogy,
defined by the research objects/units:
* People
* Families
* Communities
* Representations
* Data
* Bird's-eye view (that is, when research objects are genealogists, or even
genealogy itself).

We can build upon this categorization, maybe even breaking-down the last
category to some sub-categories (for example, based on the lens by which
the research was taken, e.g., Sociology, Literature, Education, etc.).

This way, every one who's interested in researching some topic, would know
exactly where to look for references for it by their research objects
and/or disciplinary point of view.

I would love to hear your comments about this categorization with regards
to the bibliography, and if you have alternative suggestions - please let
us know about them.

Once we agree on the categorization, I'll open a Google Docs document (or a
spreadsheet), so we can all edit it collaboratively and easily.

Looking forwards to hearing your comment,
Yours,
Arnon