[isapros] [isalist] Problem viewing external Sharepoint site

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 07:41:56 -0500

Users Repeatedly Prompted for Credentials

Problem: Users visiting a Web site published through ISA Server that
requires authentication are repeatedly prompted for credentials, even after
supplying valid credentials.

Cause: This may occur if Windows integrated authentication (NTLM) is enabled
on both the ISA Server computer and on Internet Information Services (IIS)
of the published Web server. This occurs in a publishing scenario when ISA
Server uses the same HTTP headers for authentication as those used by the
Web server. The client is prompted for credentials by ISA Server, and ISA
Server forwards the request without the credentials to the published Web
site. This causes the Web site to prompt for authentication. Multiple
authentication requests cause the Web browser to interpret the credentials
as incorrect, and users may be prompted multiple times for credentials if
the Web browser opens multiple connections.

Solution: As a workaround, do any of the following:

.
Use SecurID instead of NTLM on the ISA Server computer.

.
Use RADIUS instead of NTLM on the ISA Server computer.

.
Use Basic authentication instead of NTLM on the internal Web server.

.
Use an SSL connection with Basic authentication delegation.

Book:  <http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7> http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

  _____