[isapros] Re: Slightly OT: 3G Wireless Broadband bridge

  • From: "John T \(lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:38:45 -0700

Yes, there is a Sonicwall that does this, it is the TZ-180. However, it is
for the TZ-180. I have a medium sized business client that uses ISA and
another that uses a Sonicwall Pro 2040. I am investigating how to add a
backup connection to them via 3G wireless broadband as neither gets good DSL
coverage nor cable coverage and a second T-1 can not be justified.

Yes, Linksys has one, as does D-Link plus a bunch of enterprise size
routers, but the problem is they are all full featured meaning you have to
pay for the fact that it includes a firewall and 802.11 B/G wireless and
logging and all that other stuff that is not needed.

So, even though you can not use all that stuff they all require you to do
NAT from the WWAN to LAN or the WWAN to what they refer to as a DMZ and all
configurations are through its web interface.

While I may have to do that, I am trying to avoid the NAT as well as all the
other overhead.

John T