[isapros] Re: Exchange NSPI Proxy RPC Communications and ISA

  • From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isapros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:13:23 -0700

I recall a KB out there somewhere (I¹ll research when I have some time)
where the circumstances dictated ³static² assignment of a fixed RPC port
range for DC communications just as you have done here- this very well may
be that circumstance.  Jim¹s later post regarding ³the only way ISA can
handle RPC is via Exchange RPC or RPC (All Interfaces) may support that
theory.

Hat¹s off to you for being committed to deploying security-in-depth with
least-privilege and not acquiescing to the ³whatever works² mentality.  I
know it¹s a hard thing to deploy and support.  While I have a similar
topology, I only separate the clients from the servers with an
infrastructure ISA box? not the BE¹s from the DC¹s; they¹re on the same
³protected² network.

That being said, I think the explicit range assignment might actually be a
more reliable method of ensuring proper RPC communications between your DC
and BE given ISA in the middle? as long as you only allow that range between
just those boxes, I think you¹ve still adhered to the principles of SiD and
LP.   If Jim is correct (and there is no reason for me to think otherwise)
then you really don¹t have a choice.  But it is odd that is only happens for
RDP/HTTP.

My ³FE in the Perimeter² setup that I gleaned off of Tom does not exhibit
this behavior, but again, my BE¹s talk directly to my DC¹s.

If you figga it out, please post back ­ I for one would be interested in
what the cause is.

On 8/12/06 3:22 PM, "Jason Jones" <Jason.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> spoketh to
all: