smtp Auth with Imail vs. Exchange

  • From: "John Lyon" <jlyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 05:56:54 -0600

Any insight on this would be gretly appreciated. I have implimented Tom's
solution for using SMTP Auth to protect exchange 2000 smtp. It works
flawlessly. If your not sending to a remote domain I have listed your
dropped. If your not Authorized via windows security package you can not
relay through my virtual. Now the issue.

I want to implement Imail server for providing email hosting. It works
great for what it is intended for. I have it running, but not in the same
secure manner as my exchange is. Imail gives you about 4 choices on
securing smtp relaying. The strongest is based on being a user in the
imail user database to be able to relay. However, they warn that
manipulation of the header can allow it to be compromised. Their option of
a NT user base being used states it MUST be installed on a pdc/bdc. I am
running w2k AD and have NO intentions of putting a email server for the
masses on a DC.

My question is.....since I am using Imail user database is there a way for
me to secure smtp relaying like I did exchange even though I can't use the
"windows security package" for authentication.

thanks as always

John Lyon
http://www.accuwired.com