RE: can we have mac-addresses as client address sets for acl in isa

  • From: Rajiv Kulkarni <rajiv_nag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "\[ISAserver.org Discussion List\]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:06:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello TOM,

i'm in a kind of a healthy one-upmanship with my unix
colleagues now wherein they have shown me user-based
access control alongwith IP address AND mac-address
based acl's.

As i had mentioned earlier what i have observed
(keeping  aside all the windows/isa features such as
GUI, Firewall, scheduled download,etc etc etc etc,,and
lot's more, ofcourse along with the perenial problems
of patches to be applied for each and every new
feature applied for network users in ISA) in all
fairness in appreciating any good product, i find that
atleast the percieved response of squid proxy ( which
now also supports reverse hosting,etc, where-in again
i'am comparing only the proxy features) for a user is
more quicker than isa. what is it that lacks in isa
for that kind of performance.

Believe me i have tried all i could to fine-tune the
isa's performance.

Now coming to the question of mac-address acls. My
network has some users (who do not have access to
internet) stealing or just configuring their systems
with the allowed ip's leading to ip address clashes.
This is because we have different independent
workgroups with subnets and it is quite difficult to
maintain dhcp service ( i do have resource constraints
wrt systems for dhcp service...i'm making do with
whatever i got and it's a long resource crunch story)
for the whole 1500 node network.

good or bad please do reply with your advice

thanks once again

with regards

rajiv

--- Thomas W Shinder <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>