RE: VPN to a cisco VPN server that uses ipsec

  • From: stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:20:01 -0700

Hi David,

your interpretation for UDP direction is somewhat different then my
interpretation ;-)

I quote from the docs: "You can configure the direction of the traffic
flow when you create a protocol definition. The way you specify the
direction of the traffic determines how packets will be communicated. For
TCP, the direction determines the direction of the initial communication.
For UDP, the direction determines the flow of traffic."

So, in my opinion the different values mean:
- SendReceive: Send and then receive (bi-directional flow).
- ReceiveSend: Receive and then send (bi-directional flow).
- SendOnly: exactly what it says (uni-directional flow).
- ReceiveOnly: exactly what it says (uni-directional flow).

I have verified it with the SDK documentation and they use the same
'language'.
As for as I know, all statefull firewalls uses for UDP a simulated
connection state. So, I think UDP SendReceive is the equivalent of TCP
Outbound and UDP ReceiveSend is the equivalent of Inbound.

Hmm... maybe I should test it some day ;-)

Regards,
Stefaan