VPN on or through ISA better?

  • From: "Rob Moore" <RMoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:18:37 -0500

Hello--

I'd like to ask for some advice from all of you ISA gurus. I'm in the
final stages of putting my new ISA server into full production. I
currently have a Windows 2003-based VPN server behind my firewall
(PPTP-based, which I understand won't work with an ISA firewall). It
used to get a lot of action, but thanks to some network re-configuring
the VPN server now has typically about 10 clients attached at a given
time.

So my question is, do you think it's better to have the VPN clients
connect directly to the ISA server? Or would it be better to have the
VPN clients connect to a VPN server behind the firewall, like they do
now (migrating to L2TP/IPSEC)? I ask from two points of view: network
security-wise and firewall performance-wise. (We have a couple of
hundred users behind the firewall.)

Thanks,
Rob
Rob Moore, MCSE
Network Manager
American Friends Service Committee
215-241-7870
rmoore@xxxxxxxx

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising every time we
fall.
                       --Confucius