RE: VPN - Any thoughts on this?

  • From: Joe Pochedley <JoePochedley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:44:39 -0400

Bryan,

1. If you don't force VPN users to use the default gateway on the VPN's
network, then the remote users are accessing the internet directly, even
while the VPN is active.  Any protection you have set on your firewall is
out the window...   so for instance if they want to connect to Kaaza while
on the VPN, they can, even if you have the Kaaza ports blocked on your ISA
server.  Then if they download a virus infected file and run it, it will
begin to infect your network shares, etc etc (yes, if you have AV software
in place, you'll catch the infections, etc etc, it's just an example, you
can extrapolate from there)...

2. I can't really comment on this one as we don't use Secure NAT for our
remote VPN users...  All our users are either Firewall or Proxy clients...

Joe Pochedley
"In the end, if you have cables like
spaghetti on the floor and things only
connect when you swear at them, your
network is perfectly normal." - James Gaskin