RE: Upgrading ISA 2000 to 2004

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:46:59 -0800

ISA always has and for the foreseeable future, will continue to use RRAS
for VPN functionality.  Why reinvent a perfectly good wheel?

You don't say if the original or upgrade is Std or Ent Edition...?
I'll make a *large* difference in your migration
ISA 2000 Std - ISA 2004 Std == supported
ISA 2000 Std - ISA 2004 Ent == supported
ISA 2000 Ent - ISA 2004 Std == **unsupported**
ISA 2000 Ent - ISA 2004 Ent == supported

In general, do this:
- bring Win2000 to SP4, latest patches, etc
- Make sure it all still works!
- bring ISA 2000 to SP2, latest patches, etc.
- Make sure it all still works!
- upgrade to Win2k3
- Make sure it all still works!
- install Win2k3 Sp1, latest patches, etc.
- Make sure it all still works!
- install ISA 2004
- Make sure it all still works!
** if using ISA 2004 SE, install ISA 2004 SP1
- Make sure it all still works!

..didja notice a pattern in there somewhere?

MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
http://isatools.org
Read the help / books / articles!