[isalist] Re: Slightly OT Again:HP ProLiant DL320 Firewall/VPN/Cache Server setup DNS problem

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:18:15 -0500

Hi Barbara,

Why are you running a DNS server on the ISA firewall? Is this configured
as a caching only DNS server? If so, you configure the internal DNS
server to use the ISA firewall's DNS server as it's forwarder, and you
need to create a rule that allows the internal DNS server access to the
Local Host Network for the DNS protocol.

Also, the clients should not be using the ISA firewall's caching only
DNS server as their DNS server, they should be using the internal DNS
server for both internal and external name resolution.

Keep in mind that the caching only DNS server on the ISA firewall is a
poor man's solution. The best solution is to have DNS resolvers on a DMZ
segment.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.