[isalist] Re: Skype not working over TMG 2010 Standard

  • From: "Mayo, Bill" <bemayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:59:17 -0400

We don't have people using Skype, so I don't know what is required.
What I can comment on is the part about the Firewall Client (in the
context of ISA 2006).  For Windows clients, the Firewall Client is the
only way to provide user authenticated access to protocols other than
http/ftp, so that is where the decision comes in.  The Firewall Client
hooks into the networking functions of Windows and directs requests as
necessary to ISA, transparent to the application.  If you want to
provide access to something other than http/ftp (which is handled by the
web proxy) you are going to have to decide between the Firewall Client
and SecureNAT (it sounds like you have been doing the latter).  I don't
know of any reason why you couldn't do the same thing described below
without the Firewall Client, but I don't know for sure.