[isalist] Re: Skype not working over TMG 2010 Standard

  • From: Joe Pochedley <Joe.Pochedley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:00:21 -0400

Rob,

In our environment, Skype works over TMG...

First I tried running Skype as a proxy client (with proxy authentication
configured within the Skype client).  Call quality was fair, there were some
dropouts, but it worked...   I configured Skype both manually and with its
"Automatic proxy detection" settings.  Worked fine with either, so long as I
had valid credentials filled in under Connection > Enable Proxy Authentication
in Skype. (We have WPAD configured, so I presume Skype is pulling the proxy
config from WPAD, but I didn't confirm.....)

Then I tried running Skype as a SecureNET client. (I have different IP ranges
for which clients are allowed to pass SecureNET, so it's pretty easy to force
the issue one way or the other....) Call quality was noticeably better as
SecureNET and the time to Skype was ready to make a call was noticeably faster.

In all cases, on startup, Skype first tried to connect outbound through
multiple high numbered ports.  It failed.  Under the Proxy config, Skype fell
back to opening HTTPS/SSL on 443 to the proxy port on TMG (8080)...  That
worked, but call quality was consistently worse.   As SecureNET client, Skype
eventually dropped to HTTPS/SSL and basically ended up being approved by the
same HTTPS rule (on TMG) as under the Proxy config...

I did not try running with TMG client installed (aka FWC).  Also, I do not have
HTTPS inspection enabled in our environment.  Since you do, that obviously may
make a difference...  Did you try disabling HTTPS inspection?

HTH.

Joe P