RE: Real world bandwidth control

  • From: "Thomas W. Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 20:12:32 -0500

Hi David,

Go to the section on Bandwidth Control in our book, and you'll get the
"real deal" on how it works. I have implemented bandwidth control in
several environments, but I always have to babysit the things for a few
weeks and watch the counters for a few hours every day to fine tune the
settings. I'll tell you one thing, its a lot easier to come up with an
acceptable solution with a T1+ connection, then it is for a lower
bandwidth connection. The biggest factor is the number of rules you
have, and the relative % of time each rule is active, AND which rules
like to "hang out" with idle connections and for how long.

I *always* have some ISA Server's bandwidth counters running via a
Terminal session on my machine (using an out-of-band connection, of
course). The way its implemented now, its truely and art, and not a
science. I look forward to the time when they implement a bit rate based
solution like that you see with IIS web sites :-)

HTH,
Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder

Thomas W Shinder, M.D., MCSE, MCT