RE: RES: SMTP Message Screener

  • From: "Thomas W. Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:42:46 -0600

Hi Alexander,

I tested this out this evening to see what the deal is. I configured
Outlook 2002 to be a SMTP/POP3 mail client. I configure the SMTP service
on the ISA Server itself to act as a mail relay to the internal Exchange
2000 server. I configured the Message Screener on the IIS SMTP service
running on the ISA Server itself.

When I sent a message from the Outlook POP/SMTP client with a .vbs file
(configured to be blocked by the Message Screener on the ISA Server
itself), the file was indeed blocked and I found it in the BADMAIL
folder. I also tried it with Outlook Express, and it worked fine there
too.

My question is, are you configuring the Outlook client to be a RPC
client and allowing it to access the Exchange Server via an RPC Server
Publishing Rule? If that's the case, then the Message Screener won't
work, because SMTP is not being used. Otherwise, as long as you use the
SMTP relay (which I ALWAYS recommend, never would I ever put the Message
Screener on the Exchange Server), it works great.

HTH,