RE: Post ISA installation WOES...DNS...DNS...dns

  • From: "Marvin Cummings" <marvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:30:33 -0500

Ok this is what I've done:

1.      Clients should have for DNS and Gateway the ISA server.

Configured scope options on DHCP to have all clients point to ISA for DNS &
Router

2.      ISA DNS service Cache only (this is on Windows 2003 right?) with a
specified domain forwarder configured to forward your internal domain name
to your AD DNS server.

Yes this is w2k3 but I'm not sure about this one  I can add a forwarder for
nuSolutions.biz but not for corp.nusolutions.biz because it tells me the
zone is already created. So I create one for nuSolutions.biz using the
internal DNS IP.

3.      ISA DNS service Cache only with forwarders configured to go to your
ISP DNS servers.

Added bellsouth DNS IP's to forwarder IP address list

4.      make sure it does not have a root domain

No root domain here, or a period mark in the forward zones. Not sure if
there was anything else I needed to do here.

5.      On your Internal AD DNS server, forwarders should be set up pointing
to ISA server.

Removed bellsouth DNS IP's and added IP of ISA server to the forwarder IP
address list.

6.      On ISA server, make sure you are allowing DNS Queries from all to
all.

Thinking this means to make sure "All other DNS domains" is listed in the
DNS domain section of the forwarders tab on the ISA server.

I've configured ISA according to the quick start guide so I'm assuming the
correct options are set to allow internet access. Anytime I attempt to
connect I see where it attempts to resolve via the website's IP instead of
it's domain name. So when trying to pull up google.com from a browser on a
client system I see 216.239.37.147 instead of www.google.com
<http://www.google.com/>  before it returns a page cannot be displayed
error.

I get this problem if I point the clients to the internal DNS. Again the
only system with internet access at this point is the ISa server, which
again is odd because I thought it had to be configured for internet access.
Yet once I re-connect my linksys everything resolves fine.

Hmm. Seeking further input on what could be my problem.

Thanks

.