RE: Post ISA installation WOES...DNS...DNS...dns

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:02:39 -0800

Boy, that was mouthful.

OK, lets see what we can do here.

1.      Clients should have for DNS and Gateway the ISA server.
2.      ISA DNS service Cache only (this is on Windows 2003 right?) with a
specified domain forwarder configured to forward your internal domain name
to your AD DNS server.
3.      ISA DNS service Cache only with forwarders configured to go to your
ISP DNS servers.
4.      On your Internal AD DNS server, MAKE SURE IT IS NOT ACTING AS GOD!
This means make sure it does not have a root domain, which is a period mark
in the forward zones. One way you can tell is if you can configure
forwarders on that server. If not, it has a root domain. You will have to
delete that and restart the DNS service.
5.      On your Internal AD DNS server, forwarders should be set up pointing
to ISA server.
6.      On ISA server, make sure you are allowing DNS Queries from all to
all.

If after checking all of the preceeding, internal clients still can not
access the Internet, (Make sure you are allowing them to access through
ISA,) do the following:

1.      Point the clients DNS at your Internal AD DNS server.
2.      Configure your AD DNS server for forwarders pointing at your ISP DNS
servers.
3.      Check to see if you can access the internet from your AD DNS
servers.

I am going to bed shortly, and will be around Saturday off an on.

John Tolmachoff

Engineer/Consultant/Owner

eServices For You