RE: OWA authentication problem for XP users

  • From: "John Tolmachoff" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:14:54 -0800

See in line

John Tolmachoff MCSE, CSSA

IT Manager, Network Engineer

RelianceSoft, Inc.

Fullerton, CA  92835

www.reliancesoft.com

-----Original Message-----
From: David W. Palmerston [mailto:DPalmerston@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 2:37 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: OWA authentication problem for XP users

http://www.ISAserver.org

Since XP allows for a fast logon now, is it possible that these people have
expired domain passwords (which is preventing them from OWA) but they look
okay because they are able to logon to their local system with cached
credentials??

[JT] The local computer will check the domain controller for authentication.
If it can not find a domain controller, it will log so in the Event logs and
then look to see if the username is cached. If it finds a domain controller,
it updates the cache.

We have found that XP SP1 is required for users to get any notice that their
domain password is expiring, and even with SP1 many users do NOT get
notice..

[JT] I have also experienced users not being notified of expiring passwords.

If this is not it, please tell us where the users are running XP (in/out
domain, remote, etc...)

David Palmerston
DPalmerston@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Heli-Cal.com