Re: OT: Criminal Spammers

  • From: "Brian Drought" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:02:55 -0000

Spencer,
I'm looking for valid words, so  it'd look for "Pum.ps" in the SQL table,
not find it and increment the duff word counter. ... but... I do like your
thinking. I've seen some spam which is along the lines of 'Or your money
back!!!!'. Excess of punctuation could make the code think it's a big more
spammy (I'm trying to make it so it'll look at lots of different things and
evaluate it that way).

One thing I've noticed aswell, is some spam has subject lines like:

"Get pills
jniihiodz  jjojod"

So I could look for a excess of whitespace aswell......

Keep the ideas coming folks :-)

  Bri

-----
Something I have seen recently is the overuse of punctuation in sentences!

For Example (no points for guessing the subject to the spam!)
N.o Pum.ps - No S.urgery - No E.xercises *_100%_Money_Back_G.uarante.e
This seems to be acceptable to GFI.

I don't know whether there's a way of counting the punctuation/letters ratio
and tagging them this way.

...Spence