[isalist] Re: NTLM proxy authentication with Linux

  • From: "Greg Mulholland" <gmulholland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:21:41 +1000

its called working around limitations

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:14 AM
Subject: [isalist] Re: NTLM proxy authentication with Linux

http://www.ISAserver.org -------------------------------------------------------

He "poked a hole in the firewall"

Ipecac time.

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Site: www.isaserver.org
Book: http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

-----Original Message-----
From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Harrison
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 10:11 AM
To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Disable "require all users..." on the outbound web listener.
If you can't, then you can't have anonymous traffic through it.

   MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
   http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
   http://isatools.org
   Read the help / books / articles!

-----Original Message----- From: isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:isalist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Mulholland Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 22:40 To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [isalist] NTLM proxy authentication with Linux

This drives me nuts, wonder if anyone can help on a work around!

Internal network - all web access is authenticated (company
policy - document fair use policy in effect, user gets access
when signed off by manager etc...)

ISA 2000 (single nic) box is deployed JUST to allow SSO
authentication with IE (and now firefox!!! YAY) via NTLM
auth.  Basic auth is not an option because of the obvious
security implications of having everyones domain accoutn
credentials oin the wire in clear text

proxy.domainname.com:8080 is the proxy setting for all
clients.  Direct http outbound is not available (duh!)

So now I have a new requirement.  I have two LAN based Linux
machines that need outbound http connections to get updates
(normally - I use APS on my machine to do the auth for them
and allow them an unauth'ed proxy access, but I need it
permanently for a nagios check, so that is not exacly
production worthy).

Now NTLM is a proprietry protocol, so if anyone says anything
about lack of support for it being the cause of my problems,
I will personally rip them a new ahole.  Unfortunately - it
is also the only protocol that provides a level of security
for the authentication process, and hence will continue to be
our authentication method of choice.

So I SIMPLY wanted to add another rule above the normal one
that allows authenticated http access via the proxy that says
for these IPs, allow outbound httpp without authentication.

I cant use 'Direct Access' because I need access to ALL sites
from CERTAIN hosts unauthenticated.

To work around it i have poked a hole in the firewall to get
the machines out directly.

oh how id love to assign proxy access on a per rule basis!!
or group basis!

Anyone got any suggestions.

and before you say it, If I uncheck the box (that says
require authentication) on the web proxy filter, then anon
connections are allowed. (The condition of being a member of
the group WEBPROXY Users is not checked) so it doesnt work!

Greg

ISA Server Articles and Tutorials:
http://www.isaserver.org/articles_tutorials/

List Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/isalist/ ISA Server Newsletter: http://www.isaserver.org/pages/newsletter.asp ISA Server Articles and Tutorials: http://www.isaserver.org/articles_tutorials/ ISA Server Blogs: http://blogs.isaserver.org/ ------------------------------------------------------