RE: NIC

  • From: "Joseph" <cismic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:33:43 -0800

When I look inside the machine where the NICS are located

Slot1, Slot2, Slot3, Slot4 etc
From left to right I use Slot2 for nic1 and Slot3 for nic2.  Just a
preference you know.
I keep Slot1 open just in case I need to install a PCI video card. Slot1
in most machines is
Considered shared with the AGP slot.  I don't think it causes hassle
with a setup or speed but,
I still like keeping it free.

Now when I run IPCONFIG /ALL I like seeing the order of my NIC cards as
they are placed into the machine.
Helps keep things consistent.  Then under Network and dial up
connections selecting advanced
And then advance settings I can see the order pretty much that I've
already setup with the above
hardware configuration and helps keep the guessing to a minimum. There
you can actually change the order
of the cards.  And when you run IPCONFIG /ALL again you will see that
the order has changed according
to how you organized the NIC'S

Speed really should not be a factor of card placement but, having some
type of setup standard is
important for duplication on new machines.

There is a good article out on isaserver.org that contains additional
information that you're looking for.
http://www.isaserver.org/pages/tutorials/setting_up_machine_before_isa_i
nstalltion.htm

Joseph