RE: Internet Explorer Headers

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:05:30 -0700

This field is reqauired by RFC 2616, which governs how HTTP clients, servers
and proxies behave.
In particular,
"14.45  Via

   The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and proxies to
indicate the intermediate protocols and recipients between the user agent and
the server on requests, and between the origin server and the client on
intended to be used for tracking message forwards, avoiding request loops, and
identifying the protocol capabilities of all senders along the request/response
chain.
"

The word "must" in RFC parlance is an indication that this field falls squarely
into the LITFA category.