Windows update requiring local administrator login to d ownload updates

  • From: Paul Noble <pnoble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:03:08 +0100

Hi there

My apologies if this has been covered before and I've missed it.

I've checked some reference for this subject on MS and by googlising for a
hoped solution but have yet to come up with anything concrete.

What we have is windows nt4 domain, windows xp sp2 clients, windows 2003
isa2004 (not sp'd yet).

When we first setup a machine we initially bring it on our network and do a
windows update check and download.

If we log onto the machine using a domain admins user/pass (which is in the
local administrators group) and run windows update then it does the
checking, finds the patches but then when it comes to the download/install
bit it fails, it quickly skips thru all the updates tagging them with
'failed'

Now if I try the same thing logged in as the local administrator on the
system, use the same credentials as I did when I logged in as the domain
admin it works fine, not a glitch.

I've followed some docs on creating site sets in isa for windows update,
allowing the protocol for all users and authenticated users, set it from
internal to those windows update sites but to no avail, if its logged in
with a domain account it will fail the update, local admin its fine.

I've been looking at this so long now I'm sure I must be missing something
really obvious so a fresh pair of eyes/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Any further info required then let me know and I'll provide it.