RE: Interesting ISA Problem

  • From: Glenn Maks <gmaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:22:04 -0500

Good Morning Tom - to answer your response, Yes, I have done that and this
is what I discovered, when I built my DNS server to handle all my public
name spaces and placed that server on my DMZ, I used the publishing feature
of ISA, from a computer
in front of the ISA's public interface, I used NSLOOKUP to do some testing,
when I set my server through NSLOOKUP to the published IP address of my DNS
server, simple queries like asking what the IP address of Yahoo.com was,
resulted in no answer. The DNS server should not only function as the SOA
for my public name spaces, in addition to serving computers on my private
network for resolving Internet destinations. This does not seem to work, or
at least I could not get it working using Server Publishing, or Packet
Filters? Not to mention, I had to use the Primary bound IP Address on the
external NIC rather than one of the secondary IP address that I added to the
interface. This same scenario was discovered when I moved my public MX
server behind ISA as well. Any clues ??

  Thank U

http://www.ISAserver.org

Unfortunately, server-publishing DNS to the local box never seems to work.
I've always had to packet-filter it <sigh>

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:45:19 -0600
 "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi Glenn,

Why not create a DNS server publishing rule and bind the DNS listener to
the internal interface? Then you can take advantage of the DNS
application filter to protect yourself against DNS related attacks.

HTH,
Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder

  _____