Interesting ISA Problem

  • From: Glenn Maks <gmaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:35:38 -0500

Ok - I solved my publishing DNS issue, I decided to run DNS on my ISA server
and have that serve as my SOA for all my public name spaces, but here is
something I discovered, both with publishing my MX server and playing around
with publishing DNS Servers.

I have on my External NIC one primary IP address and several additional IP
addresses for other services like web sites and FTP sites and so on, I
discovered that no matter
what services I pass through ISA it will not work unless I use the Primary
IP address. Let me explain, My Public MX server was living behind my old
firewall, in the process of migrating services over and replacing my OLD
firewall with ISA, I moved the MX server behind my ISA server, I took the
Public IP address for the MX server and added it as an additional IP address
to the External Interface of ISA, then I published the MX server, I found
that mail could be delivered but the return trip got lost, it was not until
I changed
the Primary IP address of the ISA server to the Original IP address the MX
server was known as, did the mail come back to me. ? Same as the DNS issue I
had, running DNS
on my ISA server and having it listen on all interfaces one would think it
would work even though the IP address of the SOA server is NOT the primary
IP address of the ISA External Interface. I hope I was clear in my
explanation.  Any Takers on this one ??