[isalist] Re: Intel adapter and dell power edge

  • From: "Paul Laudenslager" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 07:29:28 -0400

Recently, I had an issue where I thought I had a bad card in an ISA box.

In the process of throwing servers into a new cabinet, I grabbed a cable and
connected a switch to the ISA box and to the outgoing Cisco router.

The light came on and I was able to get out to the Internet... I thought
things were working.

However...

The ISA box stopped transferring packets and the remote network would
disappear and reappear.  Investigating I found packet errors and performance
issues related to the connection between the switch and the router which was
in half-duplex mode.  The switch was an auto sensing switch and when I
grabbed a cable and plugged it, the light came on and I thought it was
working... Or at least we thought so...

Instead it turned out to be an issue where a straight through cable was used
instead of a crossover cable between a switch and a router.

In auto detect mode, the switch/router would only talk half-duplex mode.
Forcing into full duplex mode, the connectivity light would go out and the
circuit would shut down.

By swapping out with a proper crossover cable, full duplex was achieved
without packet loss/errors.  The ISA box hasn't had any problems since...

What I originally thought was a bad ISA NIC card or a bad switch, turned out
to be crossover cable issue.

Paul