RE: Firewall Service Crashed...

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:13:38 -0400

Cool, will be looking for that when you get it released.  It also brings
up an interesting question I had last night.

In the Windows Services Properties, you can define what to do if a
service dies.  In the recovery tab, you can tell it to do nothing, run a
program, restart the service, or reboot the server.  I would assume this
program would fall into the same category.

If I set this to restart the service, I run the risk of any add-ons
(i.e. SurfControl) not working properly, so the next logical choice is
to restart the server, as this will load things in the proper order.

However, if I set it to restart the server, I would think that might be
a possible security loophole.  I don't have any details on "why" that
would be a security risk, but anytime you can cause a server to reboot
via a fault sounds dangerous.

What do you guys think?