RE: FYI: ISA on SBS

  • From: "Wayne Small" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:16:24 +1000

Ok - wading in the deep end here.  I agree that ISA on a Domain
Controller (which of course SBS is) is not the ideal solution for the
ultimate security requirement.  But it does give the small business
owner a lot of control over utilisation of their bandwidth and
resources.  Both are rare items in the SBS end of the market.  For
example - here in Australia we get charged per MB for downloads for our
internet connections - therefore the caching facilities in ISA are a
real asset to us - I am not aware of any firewall appliance at this end
of the market that does caching like ISA does!  This adds up to real $$$
savings for the SBS customer.  The SBS customer typically would purchase
just W2k Server and maybe exchange if it were not for the excellent
price point of SBS.  This gives the small guy the power of the big
business and allows them access to feature sets that mean they can
really compete with the bigger guys without spending a fortune on
infrastructure costs.

Security - Ok - properly configured ISA is solid on SBS - it protects
the customer well and allows them to monitor and authenticate access to
their LAN.  SBS2003 standard edition does not include ISA and that I am
afraid to say is a real shame.  It's like saying that security does not
really matter to the small business customer and that a hardware based
solution will be good enough - I don't think so.  In all my sites I
combine a hardware based firewall eg a basic netgear Firewall to provide
basic port filtering and DOS filtering at the perimeter.  I then
configure ISA to provide the more advanced features that the customer
may require, ie OWA publishing via SSL etc.  I would not feel secure
with just a hardware firewall.  I would not feel secure with just one
level of protection.

Having said all that - if Microsoft were to produce a hardware based
device that had the features of ISA then I would be extremely happy -
such a powerful solution for a reasonable price would give greater
control over the branch office environment as well.

Anyway -just my two bits worth.

Regards,
Wayne Small  [SBS-MVP]
MCSE+I  MCSE 2000
Technical Director - Correct Solutions Pty Ltd
For all the answers on Small Business Server 2000 - check out
www.sbsfaq.com <http://www.sbsfaq.com/>