RE: FYI: ISA on SBS

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:25:10 -0700

Ok, now I understand what you are talking about. That is setting up the
e-mail client as an Exchange client as opposed to a POP3 client.

I think that has to go back to Amy's point. There are 2 types of small
business, those that seek to utilize the technology available, and those
that use technology to help get there job done.

Small business company profile 1: Those that seek to utilize the technology
available are going to want to use the features of Exchange and SBS,
including ISA. They will most likely use OWA and remote clients using their
e-mail client configured as an Exchange client. This kind of business will
seek and pay for SBS and ISA and use its features and if recommended use SBS
without ISA and have another box in front running ISA. (BTW, I still am
going to come up with a new small size cube box for the ISA device.)

Small business company profile 2: This kind of company uses technology in
the course of business out of need or assistance to promote/assist their
work. This company may use a app that uses a SQL DB, and as Amy pointed out,
may have a small static website that promotes their business, maybe even
some dynamic that say pulls lists from the DB. This company does not want to
fully utilize the features of Exchange or IIS, but rather the pricing is
enough to make SBS attractive rather than buying the OS and SQL separately.
They may have a dozen or so remote users, but they have the mail client
setup with POP3 or their e-mail is hosted else where. In this case, having a
SonicWall or other SOHO device is quite logical to meet the client needs.

I think what it really boils down to is there is 2, or maybe even 3 types of
Small business and they each require different approaches; Those that
embrace technology and those that use technology and those that use
technology but only if they feel it is worth the money. (I have one of those
3rd type. He has no firewall at all!)

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA

Engineer/Consultant

eServices For You