RE: FYI: FW: [fw-wiz] Re: Home/SOHO "Firewall" Routers

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:03:07 -0500

Hi John,

But look at the feature set
(http://www.sonicwall.com/products/pro2040.html). All of what they
promote are _router_ functions, not firewall function. Link fail over,
multiple "security zones", NAT NAT NAT, Proprietary VPN client, "high
performance" (not sure what they mean by that if the product pegs out at
200 Mbps). This is a NAT router, not a firewall. That's the point I
tried to make in my article. If you have small biz, its nuts to spend
this kind of money on a NAT router.

Buy a $400 white box and put Sygate's Office Network software on it.
Heck, it runs on any version of Windows. So $400 for the white box, $99
Win9x (or you could find it cheap in some places) and $200 for office
network. That's 700 bucks and you get fail over for multiple ISPs,
unlimited VPN connections, and all the rest the Sonicwall has to office.
Beats $2700 for the same level of security and functionality. And it's a
software platform on commodity hardware, so you're not hamstrung by the
hardware vendor's massive margins on replace parts, or without a
firewall while they get around to replacing the your unit with the fried
RAM. Just go to Fry's or whereever, buy a new stick for a few bucks, and
you're good to go.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder