Dual Boot or Not?

  • From: "Guinn Unger" <mlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:28:14 -0600

I have been running ISA2004 in a Virtual Server session, and I am now ready
to upgrade our ISA2000 machine.  Since I am not an expert at this, I want to
have the option to go back to ISA2000 temporarily if things don't go
well(!).  My first thought was to simply yank the hard drive from the
ISA2000 machine and install a new one.  I can start installing 2004 and if I
have to stop for a while, then I can just remove the new drive and put the
old one back in.

It occurred to me that it might make sense to install the new drive in
addition to the old one and then set up a dual boot.  This would allow me to
boot to a Windows 2003 instance running ISA2004 or boot to the original
Windows 2000 instance running ISA2000.   This might be somewhat easier than
moving hard drives.  However, I have never installed a dual boot scenario,
so I don't know what kinds of issues I might run into.

My ultimate goal is to run only ISA2004 on this machine and remove ISA2000,
so I don't want to do anything that would make this difficult later on.

Any ideas on how to make this as easy as possible?

Thanks.

Guinn Unger

Unger Technologies