DNS timeouts for caching only server

  • From: "Vald" <vald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:30:37 -0000

Hi,

My ISA Server is failing to return pages to web proxy clients first time.

The ISA is installed in caching mode and is configured to send requests to
an internal DNS server which acts as a forwarder. This DNS server then
forwards the request to another DNS Server which is also a forwarder. To cut
a long story short the ISA Server waits for a period of about 6 seconds
before returning a 'host not found' message. If the user retries a couple of
times, eventually the page is returned to the client.

Using nslookup from the ISA Server and also other servers in the same domain
and subnet, this behaviour is replicated. The first time the nslookup is
performed it fails and then maybe the second time too. Eventually a response
for the name query is received. A browser (IE) that is configured to bypass
the ISA Server however gets the page 1st time although there is a pause
before doing so as the name resolution takes some time.

Is there a way of extending the amount of time that ISA Server will wait for
the name to be resolved before responding to the client with an error or
hostname search page?

I realise that fixing the DNS structure within the organisation would be the
preferred solution. However, this is not possible for all sorts of reasons I
won't bore you with.

FYI the ISA Server is SP1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vald