RE: DNS qureries cause ISA alerts

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:43:42 -0600

Hi Farshad,

The ISA Server maintains a state table for UDP communications. Since UDP
only provides source and destination IP and Port, it doesn't have lot of
information regarding the state of the communication. The ISA Server
therefore sets timeout values in its state table. If the responses come
back after the entry in the state table has expired, the ISA Server
thinks its an attack. A lot of people have the same issue, so unless
your evaluation of the packet filter log shows you have a real problem,
you can safely ignore the alert.

HTH,
Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder