DNS inside the LAN does not contact DNS Forwarders after the Firewall service is restarted

  • From: "Pablo Ferrarese" <pferrarese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:40:56 -0700

This is the schema.
ISA Server 2000 three homed: 1 NIC to the LAN , 1 NIC to the DMZ , 1 NIC
to Internet.
Inside the LAN 3 Win2000 Domain Controllers (DC1 DC2 DC3) with DNS Server
Service installed , 1 Active Directory Integrated Zone (company.net)for
internal name resolution.For external name resolution ALL DC/DNS with
Forwarders placed in the DMZ. Both, internal and external name resolution
is working fine.

On the ISA Server the Firewall Service is restarted (or ,click in stop and
click in start). When I try to use nslookup to resolve an external name
(ie: nslookup www.ibm.com)from any DC I get time-out and the name
resolution fail.
This behavior is from any DC.

The only solution that I have (until now) is restart the DNS Service on
all DC´s(DC1 DC2 DC3). After that ,the nslookup work fine again (ie:
nslookup www.ibm.com return all the IP address). If I not restart the DNS
Service, I can wait for days, and the problem persist.
Any idea ?
Regards
Pablo Ferrarese
Intertron