Basic Authentication is very slow?

  • From: "Reid Warner" <rwarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:30:06 -0700

I am publishing several web sites via ISA.  The anonymous sites load
very quickly for external clients, however the two that require basic
authentication are painfully slow to authenticate, and then load, even
on subsequent pages.  If I remove ISA and use another firewall they load
very quickly.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am wondering if it
is a setting I am missing.  Here is a little background:

1. ISA is a domain member, but not a DC.
2. The web server is a stand alone server, with local accounts, so that
machine is authenticating for the credentials in question, not the DC's.
(should I be using domain specific credentials?  I haven't done this
because I consider it more security sensitive than just a local user
account on the web box which is not a DC)
3. The ISA box hardware is fairly slow, a K62 550Mhz with 384MB RAM, IDE
drive.

Thanks!

Reid Warner